AUTHOR: Audrey Niffenegger
ISBN: 978-84-9838-309-6
PAG: 416
PRICE: 20 €
PAG: 416
PRICE: 20 €
SYNOPSIS:
The untimely death of Elspeth Noblin, an eccentric bibliophile London, abruptly transformed the lives of their nieces, twins Julia and Valentina Poole. Although her aunt did not know, this one has bequeathed a magnificent floor overlooking Highgate Cemetery, London, on condition that they would never allow her mother to cross the threshold of the apartment. Eager to leave behind its boring routine in a typical American suburb, the twins are completely unaware of what fate awaits them in England. On one side are your new neighbors: Martin Wells, a bright and charming scholar who lives gripped by obsessions, and the elusive Robert Fanshaw, former lover of Elspeth, a historian who has spent half his life to studying the famous cemetery, visible from window. And for another, the secrets of her aunt, who even after death seems reluctant to leave his apartment.
Can compare two books by the same author although his arguments have nothing to do? Guess not, I know that does not make much sense, but at least You can search the second book you read that author, the same good feelings that we left the first. I
Have I found that in this novel? Well, honestly no.
I showed how I started the book in BBF No. 8 blog and really promising, but for me the story has been deflating in a senseless not convince me finish. When Elspeth Noblin
dies, he decides to bequeath his money and his wonderful floor overlooking Highgate Cemetery his nieces Julia and Valentina, daughter of his sister (also twin) Edwina living in the United States. The funny thing is he does not know the girls and for them it is a more very interesting surprise. The only conditions required are that before receiving the inheritance must be at least twenty-one, that if they decide to sell the flat must have lived there for at least a year and their parents never be put there feet. Notwithstanding all this sounds strange, the mother of the twins not loose garment, but Julia and Valentina are determined to go ahead and leave home to go to live in London.
His arrival in London opens for them the windows to a new and very different world to which they are accustomed. They come from a more protective environment and I think that often behave like little girls, I was the feeling that London pretended to be older. Both are used to doing everything together, and although at first sight are identical, are very different. For starters they are twins "mirror." I know this term and read about it has been quite interesting. Actually comes to mean that they are twins symmetrical. If a left-handed, the other is right hand, if one has a mole on her right cheek the other is on your left and in the case of these two, Julia has all its internal organs in the right place and Valentina on the contrary. I do not know whether these cases were falls short in reality and what effects may be someone such as having the heart on the opposite side, But in the book this fact makes the twin Valentina weaker (at least physically), is asthmatic, gets tired before and Julia is a bit of their "protector."
In my opinion Julia in the background is an insecure person and need someone in charge to feel stronger, so when Valentina begins "to wake up" and make decisions, Julia decides to take over the man upstairs, because that is another new to the twins, have neighbors, so do not only know their history but also their neighbors and see how the death affected all of Elspeth.
main characters (besides the twins):
Robert. lives in the floor below them and was the partner of her aunt when she died. Spent centuries doing a thesis on Highgate Cemetery where he works as a guide for tourists who usually visit. Do not just survive the loss of Elspeth and although not lose sight of the twins, it takes weeks to talk to them, something quite incomprehensible by both parties, especially considering where he lives and the relationship he had with Elspeth. When you decide to occur and talk, is to Valentina with whom "connect" better. It is assumed that revealed a relationship between them, but can not be superficial. I have not been believed in no time.
On the other hand we have Martin, who lives on the upper floor of the twins and his wife has just left. It is an intelligent man who is dedicated to developing complicated puzzles, but suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. Do not leave the floor, has windows papered with newspapers, buying tons of bleach and scrub with it continuously until it was bleeding hands ... so terrible. Julia will visit from time to time and decide to take care and look after him. I will say in favor of Martin has been the most interesting character for me, the most changing and evolving and has made getting nervous on occasion, making your wife understand perfectly. Finally
As stated in the synopsis, is the very Elspeth, yes. Has died. But it seems now is a ghost that lives in the apartment with her nieces and where not to go. I do not know what to make of this character. I do not know if everything ends up happening is the result of a studied plan and stands on the march, although I prefer to choose this last option.
Now that I write this, I wondered why History has not finished connecting with me, because it really has all the ingredients to make it quite attractive, and also the beginning was really interesting. The first part I really liked and was hoping that the twins were installed in London, even the second part is not bad at all, when the twins start to move to London, begin to truly live your life and learn to cope alone, but The third is that I have not liked much of anything. It is the part where the twins more intensively mixed with the ghost of her aunt.
When Valentina begins to want to live a life separated from her twin, the idea that comes to mind is police court. Unbelievable catch by which lame. What for Some readers have been original and a great final (I say this because some reviews I've read) to me I did not like anything. It is improbable and absurd to the utmost. Really no other options? Totally amazing and not to mention the participation of adults (though one is a ghost) in the plan. Or, as I said before, everything was ready, and I have not had that feeling at any time, or adults have less sense than Valentina.
In general all the characters in the book I found very strange and eccentric and I have not connected with anyone. As little characters communicate with each other, none of them get to know well, though we read many what they are thinking, but the reader has plenty of information that adds nothing to the story. Furthermore, all goes very slowly, of course there is an evolution in the characters, but overall I had the feeling that nothing was wrong. Want to solve the mystery between Elspeth and Edwina and although a more or less can imagine where the shots are going to have to read over 300 pages to solve it is excessive. The funny thing is I can not say that it has taken too long to read, in fact for what little I was enjoying I was surprised how fast it was moving.
Have I found that in this novel? Well, honestly no.
I showed how I started the book in BBF No. 8 blog and really promising, but for me the story has been deflating in a senseless not convince me finish. When Elspeth Noblin
dies, he decides to bequeath his money and his wonderful floor overlooking Highgate Cemetery his nieces Julia and Valentina, daughter of his sister (also twin) Edwina living in the United States. The funny thing is he does not know the girls and for them it is a more very interesting surprise. The only conditions required are that before receiving the inheritance must be at least twenty-one, that if they decide to sell the flat must have lived there for at least a year and their parents never be put there feet. Notwithstanding all this sounds strange, the mother of the twins not loose garment, but Julia and Valentina are determined to go ahead and leave home to go to live in London.
His arrival in London opens for them the windows to a new and very different world to which they are accustomed. They come from a more protective environment and I think that often behave like little girls, I was the feeling that London pretended to be older. Both are used to doing everything together, and although at first sight are identical, are very different. For starters they are twins "mirror." I know this term and read about it has been quite interesting. Actually comes to mean that they are twins symmetrical. If a left-handed, the other is right hand, if one has a mole on her right cheek the other is on your left and in the case of these two, Julia has all its internal organs in the right place and Valentina on the contrary. I do not know whether these cases were falls short in reality and what effects may be someone such as having the heart on the opposite side, But in the book this fact makes the twin Valentina weaker (at least physically), is asthmatic, gets tired before and Julia is a bit of their "protector."
In my opinion Julia in the background is an insecure person and need someone in charge to feel stronger, so when Valentina begins "to wake up" and make decisions, Julia decides to take over the man upstairs, because that is another new to the twins, have neighbors, so do not only know their history but also their neighbors and see how the death affected all of Elspeth.
|
| Audrey Niffenegger |
Robert. lives in the floor below them and was the partner of her aunt when she died. Spent centuries doing a thesis on Highgate Cemetery where he works as a guide for tourists who usually visit. Do not just survive the loss of Elspeth and although not lose sight of the twins, it takes weeks to talk to them, something quite incomprehensible by both parties, especially considering where he lives and the relationship he had with Elspeth. When you decide to occur and talk, is to Valentina with whom "connect" better. It is assumed that revealed a relationship between them, but can not be superficial. I have not been believed in no time.
On the other hand we have Martin, who lives on the upper floor of the twins and his wife has just left. It is an intelligent man who is dedicated to developing complicated puzzles, but suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. Do not leave the floor, has windows papered with newspapers, buying tons of bleach and scrub with it continuously until it was bleeding hands ... so terrible. Julia will visit from time to time and decide to take care and look after him. I will say in favor of Martin has been the most interesting character for me, the most changing and evolving and has made getting nervous on occasion, making your wife understand perfectly. Finally
As stated in the synopsis, is the very Elspeth, yes. Has died. But it seems now is a ghost that lives in the apartment with her nieces and where not to go. I do not know what to make of this character. I do not know if everything ends up happening is the result of a studied plan and stands on the march, although I prefer to choose this last option.
Now that I write this, I wondered why History has not finished connecting with me, because it really has all the ingredients to make it quite attractive, and also the beginning was really interesting. The first part I really liked and was hoping that the twins were installed in London, even the second part is not bad at all, when the twins start to move to London, begin to truly live your life and learn to cope alone, but The third is that I have not liked much of anything. It is the part where the twins more intensively mixed with the ghost of her aunt.
When Valentina begins to want to live a life separated from her twin, the idea that comes to mind is police court. Unbelievable catch by which lame. What for Some readers have been original and a great final (I say this because some reviews I've read) to me I did not like anything. It is improbable and absurd to the utmost. Really no other options? Totally amazing and not to mention the participation of adults (though one is a ghost) in the plan. Or, as I said before, everything was ready, and I have not had that feeling at any time, or adults have less sense than Valentina.
In general all the characters in the book I found very strange and eccentric and I have not connected with anyone. As little characters communicate with each other, none of them get to know well, though we read many what they are thinking, but the reader has plenty of information that adds nothing to the story. Furthermore, all goes very slowly, of course there is an evolution in the characters, but overall I had the feeling that nothing was wrong. Want to solve the mystery between Elspeth and Edwina and although a more or less can imagine where the shots are going to have to read over 300 pages to solve it is excessive. The funny thing is I can not say that it has taken too long to read, in fact for what little I was enjoying I was surprised how fast it was moving.
Most reviews I've read that as very good value (between 4 and 5 stars) so I find that was part of that small minority who do not think the same, but it is what you get! For me, the best, besides the last sentence that closes the book, has been the scene of this story, the contrast of a city like London and Victorian Gothic point that walks among the graves brings to the novel. Must be awesome to visit the cemetery, but in the absence of a journey is not over this video:
Photographs used:
- the book: http://literfan.cyberdark.net/2010/InquietanteSimetria.htm
- from the author: http://www.daylife.com/photo/0fuA600cZu72O
0 comments:
Post a Comment