"" You speak as an old woman.
"Sometimes, I am. I fear the people my age. Kill each other. Have you always been this way? My uncle says no. Only in the last year, six of my classmates have been shot dead. Ten others have died in a car accident. I'm afraid and they do not want me for this reason. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children are killing each other. But that long ago when everything was different. My uncle says he believed in the responsibility. Must know that I am responsible. Years ago, when he deserved it, I was beaten. And I hand all the household shopping, and cleaning. But above all, continued Clarisse said, "I like people watching. Sometimes I spend the whole day in the "Metro", and I look and listen. I just want to know what they are, what they want and where they go. [...] Sometimes I slide to sneak and listen to the "Metro." Or in the cafeterias. And you know what?
- What?
"People do not talk about anything.
- Oh, something will speak!
"No, nothing. They cite a series of cars, clothes or swimming pool and say it's great. But all say the same and no one has an original idea. And in pubs, most of the time machines work jokes, always the same, or musical wall lit and all combinations colored up and down, but just about colors and abstract design. And in museums ... Have you been there? Everything is abstract. That's all there now. My uncle says he was different. Way back sometimes pictures said something or even representing people.
"Your uncle said, your uncle says ... Your uncle must be a remarkable man.
"It is. Yes it is. Well, I must leave. Goodbye, Mr. Montag.
-bye.
"Goodbye ..."
Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451
0 comments:
Post a Comment